Expatriate Forum.
Welcome to Expatriate's Fan Forum. Join to view more threads & extras and be part of our little family!

"take this love... take it to the streets... burn down everything... til you see it all complete..."
Expatriate Forum.
Welcome to Expatriate's Fan Forum. Join to view more threads & extras and be part of our little family!

"take this love... take it to the streets... burn down everything... til you see it all complete..."
Expatriate Forum.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

France

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
AshJ
Mod
AshJ

France Empty
PostSubject: France   France EmptySat 27 Feb 2010 - 22:51

France FlagFrance

a few things :

capital : Paris
inhabitants : approximatively 65 billion.
National Anthem : La marseillaise
Motto: Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité
Language: French
Currency: Euro

to learn more, without having billions of pages to read, wiki is always your friend tongue click here

What i would like to say about France :
Well, as you may all know i'm French., it's not an information grin And i've always lived in France, so i might say it sometimes hard to have an objective point of view, but i'll try to.
I'm really into History, and especially in French History as it is the one we study the most at school here. France for me is, before everything else, a common history that we French people all share. There were the kings of course, but also the Revolution of 1789, Napoleon, or the instauration of the French Republic. Being French is not being born in France, it is not a colour of skin,a relegion or a bank account's size. Being French is a desire, a will. You chose to be French. This is a really old conception, i know. It's the conception that was defended when the III Republic was founded, in 1870, but i still want to believe in this conception. (even if it seems to be lost nowadays)
Well in our current world, i can't deny that France had lost of its importance, that it is not the strong and great country it used to be in History, but France still have a lot to offer, from landscapes to art (yeah sometimes we have good artists =P lol) and of course, how could i no mention this : CUISINE roll eyes lol

places i would recomand :
-Paris of course !! one of the most beautiful city i've ever seen, even if i know i could not live there. This city embodies the French History, you can see part of it everywhere, with the buildings, the museums... Great to go shopping and for gigs too ^^
-North of France. MY region, where i grew up, where i still live today. I think it'll be hard for me to live anywhere else in France (just talking about France) cause i love so much my region.
-Le pays Basque. one of the region where you can get ocean AND moutains. I love the colours of this region, the weather (not TOO hot), the ocean especially (the best spot to surf in France) and the food there is great =P lol

Now it's your turn...
Have you ever been to France ? where ? for how long ? Why ? what do you think of when you hear "France" ?
Tell us what you want about this country ^^

Last edited by [Emotional-Retard] on Tue 23 Mar 2010 - 13:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://whispered-word.blogspot.com
songbird
Mod
songbird

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptySun 11 Apr 2010 - 13:03

Maybe it's a stupid question, but how do you think about the French oversea territories (a place I'd love to visit someday)? Do you consider them each as an own state or do they really belong to France?

I've been to France just once (Alsace), but plan to come to visit again soon.
Back to top Go down
expatriatelover
A drop of red in the deep blue sea.
expatriatelover

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptySun 11 Apr 2010 - 17:23

Songbird, your question is particularly interesting 'cause I think that's the whole problem of these oversea territories... they belong to France from an administrative point of view (a maybe more but I'm not an expert...) but their culture is different, they have their own identity, their own history and their own past. So even if they are french territories, they can't be compared to metropolitan France departements.
As far as I'm concerned, I see them as full-fledged States but the reality is much different. This is a complicated file. The real question is to to know whether they could be independent from France or not? Would they have the strenghth and the will to do so 'cause it must be said they have some interest to be part of France, concerning social advantages for instance... It's a tricky problem and I don't know if we will be able to solve it... maybe future generations ?
Back to top Go down
songbird
Mod
songbird

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010 - 10:38

Thank you for your point of view, expatriatelover! Reminds me a bit of the Québéc-Canada-situation. Québéc aims indepency from the motherland Canada since ... ever, I think, but I don't think they're really able to exist as an own state within this huge country.
Back to top Go down
expatriatelover
expatriatelover

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptyMon 12 Apr 2010 - 12:48

Songbird, Concerning Quebec, I can ask a very close friend of mine who lives in Gaspesie so she'll be able to give her feeling 'bout that... But I think the situation is a bit different 'cause Quebec has much more resources. I think they could be more easily independant from Canada than our overseas territories (but that's an other topic).
Back to top Go down
AshJ
Mod
AshJ

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptyTue 13 Apr 2010 - 21:33

yes i quite agree with your point of view Expatriatelover. It's a really delicate question because it deals with several aspects of the problem.
And i think, that's where we (the "young" generation) should work. I think France is beautiful because of its diversity and because of its difference and everything that build it. And we need to build this nation where every little one is a little piece of the whole nation, that's to say with everyone having both his (her) own particularity and his (her) common points. So it's true our overseas territories have a different history, a different culture, and even a different language (le créole for example) but they also share a common history with the metropole and common cultural aspects and of course a language.
I think the government should aslo give more importance to improving the "structures" in the overseas territories, i'm thinking about the problems of unemployment they're facing, or the problem of prices for example.
Anyway it's sure there's still a lot to do but little by little and with the help of everyone we will do it.
Back to top Go down
http://whispered-word.blogspot.com
expatriatelover
expatriatelover

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptyWed 14 Apr 2010 - 12:35

You're absolutely right Emotional-Retard, and your answer complete mine and gives a larger point of view of the question to Songbird. smile Sure she'll appreciate! smile2
Back to top Go down
songbird
Mod
songbird

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptyWed 14 Apr 2010 - 13:06

Of course I do! Thanks to both of you! flower
Back to top Go down
ameriel
Dangerous Stranger.
ameriel

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptySat 15 May 2010 - 20:07

Paris is the only place I've visited in Europe (and I've seen a lot :P) where I feel like home (aparto from my real home). I'd love to live there, although I don't speak French at all! I'd manage somehow :D
Back to top Go down
PaulineSusan
Blackbird.
PaulineSusan

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptyThu 12 Aug 2010 - 21:21

I've been in France once. Exactly in Paris and in The Disneyland. Was marvelously! I wish, I could go there second time :)
Well, just one thing I don't like in France is , that they don't want to speak English, I was f**cking annoyed bout it (sorry!). I have been learning French, but (for me) it's very difficult language to learn. But I know some words, for example I can introduce myself, buy coffee and ask bout weather. :P But I really like Paris. All these museums were amazing, I love Orsay(?) museum, modern art :)
xoxo
Back to top Go down
expatriatelover
expatriatelover

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptyFri 13 Aug 2010 - 9:08

PaulineSusan you're absolutely right 'bout French people laziness! It's such a pity specially in Paris which is a very cosmopolitan town. I don't understand why they don't make any effort. It must be said our way of learning foreign languages in France is inappropriate so it doesn't encourage people to speak other languages AND also because most of them are chauvinistic! smile But you're right, Paris is a wonderful town with so many beautiful things to see. That's something we sometimes forget when you see it everyday!
Back to top Go down
songbird
Mod
songbird

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptyFri 13 Aug 2010 - 13:22

Good to hear that from a French, expatriatelover. grin2
But I definitely should visit Paris soon, with or without language skills.
Back to top Go down
PaulineSusan
Blackbird.
PaulineSusan

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France EmptyFri 13 Aug 2010 - 14:50

But, it doesn't mean: no, I don't like French ppl. But I was annoyed. I hope, someday they comprehend, that knowing other languages is good. My French teacher said: French ppl are self-presumption. But anyway. I like Paris so much!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

France Empty
PostSubject: Re: France   France Empty

Back to top Go down

France
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Expatriate Forum. :: I WENT TO SCHOOL BUT I DON'T KNOW SHIT :: Anywhere we want.-
Jump to: